Monday, March 1, 2010

A package is at the door.

Today when I got home from work I noticed that a big box was at the front door. Yes, the bridesmaid gown has arrived! I had received an email last week that it had been shipped. It is a special made designer gown, designed just for me, not one of those horrific things that you never want to put on again. I feel like a child at Christmas. I am so nervous. What will it look like? What if it doesn't fit? I sent my measurements about 3 months ago to the designer, Ciarla Bride, yet I have not been working out the way I had planned so that my shape matched the measurements I actually sent - oops - so much for that New Year's resolution.

Oh, I cannot wait to see it any longer, let's open the box together - rip, rip, tear, tear and we are in the box. So far so good. It is wrapped in tissue and packaged safely in a hanging bag. Wow, it is gorgeous, the color is strawberry preserves, sounds yummy and it looks even better than the color sounds. I have never had a dress made especially for me by a designer - this is fun. Think I will just hang it up and wait a bit to try it on.

This is my 8th time to be a bridesmaid, and one thing is for sure, bridesmaid gowns have come a long way since the 80's. I remember in high school I was in my friend Penny's wedding at Valentine's day and the dress I wore that time was a bright red satin with shoes the same color. I also wore that gown to the prom and had a bright red sun-burn to match (using a tanning lamp - do those things exist anymore?). Right out of high school I was in my friend Suzy's wedding and we wore a bright blue satin gown with a big bow on the back and the big 80's hair to complete the look. I am proud to say that both of those girlfriends are still happily married 20 plus years later. It is such an honor to be asked to be a bridesmaid and it amazes me that at my age (I will be 29 again next Monday) I have the honor of standing beside a very close friend as she takes the step of marriage.

Most every little girl dreams of her wedding day. A day that is supposed to be the most special day in your life, a day where you are the princess and everyone comes to admire how beautiful you are. Unfortunately, I did not get that opportunity because my husband and I were scared of having a big wedding and decided to "just do it" the easy way. After we got married every time we went to a wedding I would punch Mark and say "I wanted a big beautiful wedding" but he would always just laugh and say that a big fancy wedding doesn't mean you will be happily married for ever, it takes only love.

This wedding is for my friend Maria who now lives in Austin. We first met about 8 years ago when I hired her at my father's printing company as a graphic designer. We became fast friends and she really is like a little sister to me. After completing her degree she ended up moving to Austin, TX to start her own agency called The Mod Studio. I am so proud of her and all her acomplishments. Her wedding will be on April 10th at the Austin Museum of Art. They are pulling out all the bells and whistles for it. When Scott proposed to her about 3 years ago it seemed like an eternity away and now here we are only 5 weeks until the big day and that gorgeous gown is staring at me with all of it's strawberry glory. I am terrified. I should be a natural since I have done this so many times before but every time I get crazy with excitement and want to make my friends day be special. Why did she ask me?

True friends are a rare thing and it blesses my heart that I have such great friends that they would trust me to be a part of their "story book" day. And honestly, I am planning on this wedding being like my "vow renewal" since it is going to be the big shindig event of 2010 for my family. We will all fly out on that Friday before and take part in all the pre-wedding, wedding and post-wedding festivities. They even have a website to assist all the guests in planning for their big day. She is truely a modern day bride.

Okay, the moment of truth, let me run try it on before the family get's home in case it won't zip.

Squeeze, suck in, and zip. It fits! Yeah the dress fits. A little to do but nothing major and the color looks fab on me. I like it - actually I love it.

The beauty of real love, is that it is unconditional and even if I didn't love the gown, I love my friend and I will wear my designer bridesmaid gown with pride and happiness in support of her and the journey she is about to take. I know my years of marrital bliss will be very helpful to her after the wedding when she is calling for advice.

And I hate to admit it, my hubby is right, what it really takes to be happy is "love".

Now, what shoes to wear? Looks like I see shoe shopping in my future. One thing is for sure I love shoes! Wanna go with me?

Happy Living, Loving and Laughing,
Angie Lu
"always the bridesmaid and proud of it"

1 comment:

  1. I'm game. I could use some new shoes!! Can't wait to see pictures of the dress!

    ReplyDelete