Thursday, March 18, 2010

Kids at the beach and I'm working . . . SAY WHAT?

Okay, what is wrong with this picture? I am home working my fingers to the bone, cleaning house, keeping up my full time job, paying bills, insurance, etc. and my kids are playing at the beach for spring break. My son left last Saturday and my daughter left today to go play in the sand and surf for a few days. While I must admit that I am happy for them, I am irratated that I have to stay home and keep working while they enjoy themselves. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around. Shouldn't I be stretched out on a sandy beach drinking something delicious with an umbrella in it as the coastal breeze blows my hair. Shouldn't I be walking down the sundrenched Gulf Coast watching the gorgeous fiery orange sunset as I daydream about the good life?

As a parent I do believe that the times have drastically changed since I was little. Actually I rarely remember ever taking a spring break vacation. I remember having to work that entire week by doing chores or babysitting my cousins. Now don't get me wrong, I had a great childhood for the most part, it was just that my parents always had to work and they in turn required us children to do our part to keep the house running smoothly.

I know that it is thanks to my parents making me do my part that I have such a hard work ethic today and I do feel that sometimes I have failed as a parent by not requiring my children to have to do the same. It was my goal as a mother to give my children the things I did not have, to allow them to be who they are and encourage them to do good everyday. To keep God first in their lives and be happy. Did I go wrong? My pride says, NO! but as I sit here typing I have to wonder if I could have and should have done better. I do have two very good children that are kind and courteous but I have got to get them to help me and their dad more so that they are efficient adults.

All that being said I am making a pact from this point forward to make a change for the better and the next time it is vacation for the kids I will let them know that their Dad and I get to go play before anyone else does and if they are allowed to come along this is a team effort as a family. Everyone has to pull their own weight to keep the ship sailing. Wish me luck.

Oh and yeah I did just get back from a girls weekend to New Orleans but that doesn't count. Right?

Wishing you all a very happy spring break!

Happy Living, Loving & Lauging,
Angie Lu

1 comment:

  1. HAHA - it doesn't because it was a "working" trip!! And I remember my Spring Breaks raking leaves, cleaning out closets and dusting. UGGHHHHH!!! I still do all of that - but thank goodness I have no trees in the yard... so no raking leaves! =)

    ReplyDelete