Wednesday, February 24, 2010

When the phone rings in the middle of the night!

At 12:30 a.m. the phone rings and your heart races. You know this cannot be good. Never in my life do I remember the phone ringing after midnight and it not being bad news - right? As the Mother of a 20 year old college student and a 14 year old, I am always on mental alert after going to bed. When your babies are young some nights it is so hard to get rest, or when they hit the terrible twos and are throwing temper tantrums, or when they go to pre-school for the first time, or when they get bullied at school and come home crying because their feelings are hurt (your first reaction is to defend and protect them always), we think these are the most difficult times as a parent. One thing is for sure those times are hard on us parents and amazingly gratifying at the same time but I remember always being able to hold my children and comfort them, just be there and love them. Being able to put a band-aid on the boo-boo, kiss it and make it all better. The joy of parenting that fills your heart is seeing the unconditional love in your child's eyes when you are there for them and you are rewarded with a hug, kiss and an "I love you Mommy".

Last night or should I say early this morning when the phone rings and I am jolted from a deep sleep to have my heart almost jump from my chest with fear and worry, I noticed that the name that appeared was "Double D". My son, the college student, was calling me and it couldn't be good because the last time he called me that late he was on the way to the emergency room to get stitches. He had just been home this past weekend and I had a great time catching up with him on the many exciting things going on in his new, independent life in Starkville. Every time I see him now I am awed by what a handsome and self-confident young man he is turning out to be. My husband and I worked hard to raise him to be a kind, self-assured, God loving man. And I am proud to say he is a true gentleman and makes me beam with pride. I love my Doodle man! As my eyes filled with tears, I say, "What's wrong son"? What happened?" And he gently replies, "How are you Mom?" and I think - okay he needs money - did he get a speeding ticket? what could it be? and then he say's with a rattled voice, "I don't feel good, Mom. I can't sleep. My ear hurts - bad!" My heart skipped a few beats as I register that my son, a young adult, had called me to help him feel better with an earache (thank God, nothing too serious) and ask my advice on what to do for it. He still needs me! Even if he is a few hours away and I can't nurture him in person but I am there with him on the phone as he walks through the drugstore to get ear drops and something for the pain. My baby boy needed me and I was there, even though I couldn't put a band-aid on it , kiss it and make it better, I could talk with him, encourage him and be there for him. After hearing his "I love you Mom"then hanging up the phone, I had a prideful, worried momma cry, and checked on my beautiful teenager sleeping softly in her bed, I dropped to my knees and said a prayer. A long while later I was finally able to drift back off to my usual guarded parent sleep.

Of course, now today, things are back to normal because I cannot get him on the phone to let me know how he is, so as the old saying goes hopefully "no news, is good news". Here's to all you hard working, loving parents out there, we will get through the stages of parenting together!

Happy Living, Loving and Laughing,
Angie Lu

8 comments:

  1. Poor Derek!! Hope he is feeling better!

    Of course the same goes for parents as the kids. I will call to check on my parents and they don't answer the phone... worries me to death! And then when they call me at 6 in the morning... I know somethings wrong. I know the love of parents and their kids. It's a bond like no other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you PUH LEASE put the word band-aid in one more of your post... i mean... just one more??? i just had to stop eating my lunch because i read the word :( i'm kidding!! i hope "double D" feels better!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So he's a momma's boy, eh? Kidding of course. I'm sure those calls will continue for years to come. Enjoyed the post. I'm sending this link to my mom right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie-
    Just found your blog from a post through Facebook (Meridian Star). I am not sure if you remember me, but in high school (a zillion years ago) I was friends with Ashley Shields and Summer Posey. I live in Arkansas now with a fabulous husband and 2 great kids AND I am a blogger!

    Good luck with your blog, if you have any questions about blogspot, marketing, putting ad on, pictures on, etc, let em know.
    Stephanie Crampton Buckley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stephanie, I am loving this new blog world and having a blast. Great to hear that you are so happy. What Park are you at? My mother-n-law was a park ranger in the Hila National Forest before she passed away 2 years ago. We had the opportunity to go visit and it was an amazing place. Enjoyed checking out your blog and I will be in touch for some help since I am so new but looking forward to re-connecting with people just like you. Summer is doing good - she remarried years ago and is as beautiful as ever. Find me on FB and I will get her to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and Joy, Abby and Fredie, thanks for the posts. J - I agree about the parent's doing the same - cannot ever keep up with my daddy. F - yes he is a moma's boy as I think you might be - not a bad thing to be - hope she likes it! A - u know I gotta do it, you will LOVE band-aids when I finish with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Angie,
    Still keeping up with your blog, you are funny! And, a great writer, keep it up.

    Actually, Summer and I found each other on FB a while back but I am going to hop over and find you. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete