Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hey Mom - Dad - can I drive?

Ahhh yes, don't you remember? Your first time to ever get behind the wheel and the wide open road. Yes, seems just like yesterday I was getting my first driving lesson as a young teen and one thing is for sure it was a learning experience from both parents. Mom was sure to freak out and tell me to pull over because I didn't stop just right at that stop sign but she was always singing along on the ride in her blue Chevy Chevette until you scared her. That poor Chevette went through 4 girls learning to drive and we all have great memories of that car. Now Dad was another story he loved to have you get in his old pick-up truck named Betsy that shifted on the column and he would make you back down the "L" shaped drive-way and drive up it until you got it. Even though I managed to plow up his garden many times before I caught on, he hung in there and just laughed because he was having so much fun. I loved Sunday afternoon because he would let me drive him to the "dump" to look for lost treasure and back.

I remember my first car I bought and paid for myself - for only $500 cash - it was a 4-door blue dodge automatic that the brakes barely worked so you had to pump them and pray that you would stop in time before you hit someone. People always cleared a path when they saw me coming in my "Big Blue". It was all mine and I was so proud of it - until Mom road with me one day and after pumping til my legs hurt to stop I had to run the redlight and into a parking lot where Mom was so freaked out with fear she made me let her drive (and pump the brakes too). Yeah and now it is my turn again to begin that milestone of parenting where you teach your child to drive.

For the last two weeks every chance my daughter gets she is asking for us to let her drive. With nerves of steel I finally gave in the other night and now she is waking up extra early and staying up extra late for the hope of talking her Dad or me into working with her home driver's ed in the driveway or pasture. My Dad has graciously volunteered the fabulous "L"driveway and his pick-up, so I think since I want her to know how to drive a standard - then it is off to Papaw's soon. I will just let him laugh and have fun at this driving lesson since I am more like my Mom and would rather me be in control of the wheel. I did survive my son learning how to become a good driver, so I know she will be one too but Lord give me patience as we get through once again another parenting challenge that is sure to be some great and funny memories in a few years.

Happy Living, Loving, Laughing and driving,
Angie Lu

3 comments:

  1. She can't be old enough to drive. She's still a baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh....remember those days-we took driver's ed in school too---oh boy...MR MACK LOL....he was something else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I can't believe Becca is driving! She is so beautiful! I would love to see her...it's been way too long. This makes me feel old! :)

    ReplyDelete